Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Flowery Naughtycal Navy and a Note on Patching


Hello again, Dear Reader!  I don't normally post two times so close together, but I wanted to let you know about my experience with patching after hearing the weather report, so I thought I would this morning.

As I did my Konadicure today, which was the fabulous suggestion of my friend glitzychick, I watched to Today show, where they spoke of the fact that two thirds of the US will be having unusually cold weather this week (-40 windchill here tomorrow - I'm staying in!).  I thought I might be able to save a few sets of nails if I posted about patching.

First, I need to retract my reply to masa_inn's suggestion about the possibility that I patch the nail way back in August when I had my last break.  I didn't believe anything would hold a break in one of my nails, but quite simply, I was wrong and masa_inn was right!  I've tried glue, gel, acrylic, had one professionally patched with acrylic, and the effots to save the nail always give out on me within two days.  The down side to having strong nails is that when there's a break in one, the nail is stronger than what's holding it together, and I assumed the same was true of her suggestion.  Nope!

You see, on December 23rd (the day before I last went out of town), we had subzero weather here, and rocket scientist that I am, I went out without gloves.  It was just to go half a block away, but on my return, I felt a little *ping* on the side of my right index nail.  When I got home, I examined it to find that the free edge had cleanly broken right at the nail line about one third of the way into the nail.  This had happened once before many years ago in extreme cold, but on a longer walk - I lost several nails to the cold the first time, and I believe it is due to the difference in temperature between nail bed and long free edge.  All I knew was that I wasn't about to file my nails all the way off, so I glued it and coated it with four coats of do-it-yourself gel coating (that was one thick nail...).  Two days later, on the way home from my trip, the glue and the gel predictably gave out, and the crack was back.  I decided to give in and try a silk wrap patch (why, oh why, am I so stubborn???).

As soon as I got home, I bought the silk wraps (a $5 investment from Sally's) and some gel glue (I'm told IBD Gel Resin is the first choice, but I didn't have time for an online order), cleaned up the nail, and patched it.  First, I glued the crack, then I snipped a tiny piece from one of the silk wraps that would completely cover and overhang the break, using a cuticle scissors to snip the silk wrap to be even with the side of my nail.  It has a slightly adhesive backing, so it stays in place once it's applied.  Next, I applied the gel glue to it, completely covering the patch.  I let the glue dry, then did my nails as usual.  It's now over three weeks later, and I still have my nail!  I've used them to type, open plactic packaging, etc. (all the thing I'm told not to do!), and it's held beautifully.

If I were good, I'd use non-acetone remover on that nail, but I'm not.  Instead, I used acetone and acetone remover as usual, and when the patch looks haggard, after about a week, I remove it with acetone and felt and reapply a new one.  The glue in the break has given out several times, but the silk wrap keeps everything together just fine.  I most recently put on a new wrap last night because the glue in the break had given out a couple of days before, and after being in water for a while, it looked like the sharp edge of the break was beginning to slice the silk wrap.  After hanging on this long, I didn't want to take any chances, so I cleaned it up, glued it again, and put on a new patch.

That's my story of patching, and I tell it in the hope that if you, Dear Reader, have a break in this cold, you don't file your nails all the way off the way I foolishly did the last time.  I'm absolutely sold on the silk wrap patch, and don't plan to ever take my nails all the way down without trying to patch it first again.  One of these centuries I'll learn to listen to others' experience before leaning the hard way, I hope!

As I mentioned, I thought of that as I did my KOTD (Konadicure of the Day) this morning.  I have pictures of both hands (which you have seen since Dec 23 without mention of the break) so you can take a look at the patch.  My guess is that it will be identifiable under the close scrutiny of a full screen picture, but it is not visible just walking around.  The mani is two coats of Color Club Naughtycal Navy topped with one coat of SpaRitual Tout de Suite, which then I double stamped using Konad Pink Shimmer Special Polish and plate M64, finished with Barielle Manicure Extender.  The break is on the right (bottom) side of my right index finger - take a look, it's really hard to identify.

 

 

 

Not too bad, huh?  I think it beats the pants off of filing all of my nails down to the nail line!  I'll be maintaining this thing for months to grow it out, but it's well worth it to me to save my nails.  I still can't believe I was so stubborn that I wouldn't give this a try before now!  Ah well, water under the bridge...

That's all for today, Dear Reader.  Until tomorrow, love and nail polish to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment