Sunday, January 18, 2009

Catholic School Girls Gone Wild


Good morning, Dear Reader!

I'm still taking a break from blues so that I can truly savor Wet Velvet when I wear it soon, so I dug into my $2.99 CNYs to select today's manicure.  I chose one I bought for the name, with which I was pleasantly surprised upon its arrival.  I feared it would be sheer, and I have enough sheers for how often I wear them, but when I rolled the bottle to evaluate the color, I was pleased to find I could barely see the ballz in it.

It is Catholic School Girls, and I had to get it because I come from the most Catholic family in the universe (although I'm of the fallen away variety these days).  It might be assumed from my Gaelic name that I have older parents because I'm the last in a long line of siblings, but that's not it - I only have one sister, and she's less than a year older than I am.  The truth is that my parents had two lives - my dad was a Jesuit priest for 25 years, and my mom was a nun for 18.  They both left religious life in the fallout of Vatican II in the late sixties, and met in a support group for people in the same circumstance.  Additionally, three of my dad's four brothers are priests (with the fourth being developmentally disabled and not eligible for the priesthood), and one of his five sisters is a nun.  We won't even discuss my generation, the cousins... You can just  imagine the productions that family funerals are!

My mom was a teacher, and had a downright uncanny ability to remember her students.  When she was in the nursing home before her death, one of her eighth grade students came to visit her - she taught him in 1955.  My mom wasn't able to tell you what she had for breakfast at the time, but sat there and went through the students' names, as they were seated in the class, one by one, with stories to go with each name.  I didn't inherit that gift for names, but certainly wish I did!  I got the skills of my father, the math teacher and accountant, which serve their own purpose, I suppose.

In any case, when I saw Catholic School Girls, I went for it, and as I mentioned was pleasantly surprised by its opacity.  It' so pale that it makes nails look shorter, and I think it has sort of a mod feel to it.  It took three coats to be completely even, but applied beautifully.

 

 

Certainly, I could have left this one alone.  It's simplicity is appealing to me, a super pale barely pink creme.  However, I woke up at 3:30 this morning, and I assure you that there's very little to do at that hour on a Sunday morning without extended cable channels.  If my knitting supplies were here, I'd have a new sweater started, but they're not, so I played with the Konad...

Since this color has a mod feel to it for me, I thought a wacky all-over pattern would suit it well.  I chose the many-circles pattern from Konad plate M65 for the pattern, which then left me with the color choice for stamping.  Since the manicure began with the notion of Catholicism, I decided to continue that theme by selecting Konad purple shimmer so I'd have the Advent pink and purple, which are two colors I've always liked together.  The end result pleases me almost as much as the golden leopard mani I did a while back - the double stamping isn't quite perfect, but if I do say so myself, it ain't half bad!

 

 

That's today's Konadicure of the Day, the story behind it, and a little more about my wacky family.  The up side to growing up in an other-than-average family is that one ends up with many stories.  I have plenty more material about my family to pass on to you one day, Dear Reader, and I shall as the bits fit the manicure.  If you don't have any particular interest in that, as always, I welcome you to just skip to the pictures any time!

Until later, Dear Reader, love and nail polish to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment