Tuesday, August 19, 2008

So You Missed Dior's Poison Blue (Bleu Poison)... Not to Worry!

Good morning, Dear Reader. As promised, today's post is about a dupe for a high-end limited edition shade: Dior's Blue Poison.

A few weeks ago, I was at an Ulta and found the six-bottle display of Sally Hansen Salon's Navy Baby, untouched. At first glance I understood why, for it appeared to be yet another flat blackened blue. I picked up a bottle to examine, and saw the most beautiful blue flash that required good light to see and decided to take it home with me. As I applied the first brush stroke to the first nail, I thought,"This looks like the Dior!" I decided to compare the two, and took many, many pictures in many different lighting conditions.

I'll give you a little backgound to help you see my perspective, Dear Reader. I think the reasoning behind the number of pictures comes down to my academic training: in college, I majored in pure math (nothing to be practically applied except to other math) and minored in philosophy. As a consequence of that, when presented with an idea, I tend to think in terms of how to prove or disprove the assertion. Here, I decided that negation was the way to go, and used as many lighting conditions as possible until I could see any difference, which was a challenge. Here are the photos, where the index and ring finger are the Dior and the middle and pinky are the SH:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

As you can see, it takes strong artificial light to show a difference between the two, which to me means it's close enough to call a dupe. In normal lighting conditions, I could not tell that I had two "different" colors on. So if you're lemming Poison Blue and don't want to shell out $40 on ebay for it, or if you're carefully doling out the precious 0.3 oz Dior you have, SH Navy Baby will fill in for it for only $6. As I mentioned, I found mine on a display at Ulta, but have since spotted it at Walgreen's without the display, just mixed in with the other SH Salon bottles of the core line.

By itself in strong sun, the blue flash that initially attracted me to it is visible and quite beautiful, as you can see here:

Photobucket

That's it for today, Dear Reader. Love and np to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment