Friday, August 22, 2008

Reader Requests: A Word on Patching, Application, and Some Pictures

Good morning, Dear Reader! Thank you for all of your supportive comments. They are truly appreciated.

One comment I'd like to address is Masa's suggestion that I patch the nail, and she provided a link to an excellent how-to in her blog. The reason I did not do that in this case is that I've found that although this method is effective for most, my nails are a bit sturdier than average, and have proved to be sturdier than a patch. Within a day, the nail is rebroken under the patch. When I have a tear that would go into the nail bed, I do use this method, but in order for it to hold I have to top it off with a small patch of acrylic (from the do-it-yourself fake nails kits), and as soon as it's grown out far enough to file off the nail, I do. The small patch of acrylic is effective, but a PITA to maintain, as products for artificial nails have to be used on that nail, which is just a big hassle. So rather than go through the trouble of growing out a manageable tear, I normally just file my nails off.

Since today's pictures aren't so new and exciting, I thought I'd also mention how I apply polish, as that's a question that has been asked by more than one reader. I've found that the "trick" is to start about one third of the way up the nail bed away from the cuticle, and start by applying a small drop of polish and pushing it down toward to cuticle and stopping just short of it, then applying up the rest of the nail with the brush almost parallel to the nail (so I'm using the side of it more than the end). The first coat takes longer than the second for me, as I'm establishing where the polish will go in the first. For the second coat, I just follow what I've already done. Basecoats make a big difference, but that's a whole can of worms we can open up another day.

On to today's pictures! The first is my solution to feeling a little insecure about the new shorter nails. What's a woman to do when she's lost something that makes her feels feminine? Why, apply the sexiest damn red that's ever existed, that's what! For me, that's Dior Vernis Poppy (Coquelicot), #999. It's a European release that I got my hot little hands on, and I'm thrilled with it.

Photobucket

Our other picture for today is one you may have seen before, but not here. It's today's NOTD (Nails of the Day), China Glaze's Gussied Up Green, which comes down to being the new and improved Jasper Jade. I might have comparison pics of the two forthcoming if you'd like to see them, Dear Reader. They're incredibly similar, and if backed into a corner and forced to choose one and only one of the two forever, it would be Gussied Up Green. I added this picture today because a reader specified a preference for dark colors, so I thought I'd add a picture to make that reader happy today.

Photobucket

So that's all for today, Dear reader. Love and nail polish to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment