Sunday, February 1, 2009

Mom's Recipe Box & More


Good morning again, Dear Reader!

I've just finished today's Konadicure of the Day, which was prompted by a comment tarotbydiana recently left.  It's one I've done before, but not for some time, and is inspired by the little box my mom used to keep index cards with recipes on them.

For reference, my mom left the convent in 1968, and after wearing only black and white for 18 years, she went a little over the top with colors and patterns once she was on her own.  She still made her own clothes as she did in the convent, but with the loud, wacky patterns of the time.  She married my dad in 1969, had my sister in '70 and me in '71 - quite a lot of change in five years, from a nun teaching high school to the stay at home mom of two!  She made our clothes too, and you should see how loud some of them were!  We won't even get into her wallpaper selections in the early seventies...

The only remnant we had of that phase was her recipe box, which was bright yellow with red-orange sixties floral stickers all over it.  Unfortunately, my father was a bit zealous in his efforts to clear things out of the house after she died, and it was thrown away.  However, I learned to cook with her as a kid using that little metal box of index cards, so it is burned into my memory, and I don't need to have it in front of me to do a Konadicure that is clearly inspired by it.  That's what I did this morning.

I started with a base of Jessica's Going to Disneyland.  I had high hopes that this would finally be the yellow that would be opaque and even in two coats, but alas, it took three.  Here's the yellow on its own.

 

 

From there, I selected the floral pattern form Konad plate M64, and chose the pink shimmer Konad polish for stamping.  I know from experience that stamping pink over an opaque bright yellow would have a tinge of orange to it, and it did.  The end result is just as I wanted it to be, and looks just like that recipe box!

 

 

While I was up watermarking and cropping these photos, I thought I'd edit some others I've taken recently.  As you may have noticed, my insomnia has been rampant this week, and there's little to do other than play with Konad or Nfu-Ohs in the middle of the night here, so that's what I've done.

Here's a the Nfu-Oh I haven't shown you yet, #41 over Precision Wait a Melon for Me.  I showed you the base color on its own earlier this week, and here it is layered with Nfu-Oh #41.

 

 

It's subtle, but I like it quite a bit.

I also have two Konadicures you haven't seen yet, so I'll show those to you this morning as well.  Both of them took advantage of patterns that I really like, but have not been able to use in recent months until now.

The first has a base of Sally Hansen Salon Hearts on Fire.  This is three coats, as it's slightly jelly in its finish and took a third coat to be completely opaque.


 

 

To this one I added the diagonal pattern from plate M65 using white Konad polish.

 


The last one I have for you is the one I recently wore to my uncle's funeral.  I wore a charcoal grey Aran sweater, and this went with it very nicely.  I started with a base of two coats of SpaRitual Surreal, which I've shown to you at least once before, so I didn't take pictures of it on its own.  To it I added the houndstooth pattern from Konad plate M63 using a purple/grey Konad shimmer polish.  I like the Konad polish quite a bit, but unfortunately I don't recall what color it is, and it's not marked on the bottle.  Here's the result.

 


That, Dear Reader, catches you up on all of my shorty pictures.  I still have a few in the vault with long nails, but we'll save those for another day.

On a side note, I did hear from the winner of the Black Tie Optional for which I drew a name on Friday, so it will be going to live with her.  The winner was Sunny from the USA.  Congrats to Sunny!  Even better news for those of you who did not win is that I have another hard-to-find color to give away this week, and I'll be creating the entry form for that soon.

That's all for today, Dear Reader.  Until tomorrow, love and nail polish to you!




No comments:

Post a Comment