Saturday, May 15, 2010

Toma Metallic Illusions Nail Lacquers

Good morning, Dear Reader!

I told you I had something fun for you today, and this is it!  I was going through more stuff, this time a big plastic bin of non-nail stuff, and stashed inside it I found two six-pack nail polish boxes full of Toma Metallic Illusions, a way old discontinued line of duochromes.  I only swatched nine - three were missing the bottom label with the name and only had the side label with the number, and truthfully I've only endured swatching twelve maybe twice before.  The sun was out in the morning, so I was able to do them in decent light.

The bottles are like Hot Topic bottles, and the brush is big and floppy at the end of the long giant stem.  Two have silver caps and the rest black, I don't know what the deal is with those two.  Some had thinned dramatically, either with age or by the not-so-reputable seller from whom I bought them maybe two years ago, but the colors are gorgeous.  I used two coats of each, and on one or two you can still see through my nails a bit as a result of how thin the polish was, but I wanted to be consistent.  I'll show them to you in the order in which I swatched them, which is by the number on each (I did them in order so I'd keep them straight).

I took the pictures with the sun coming at my hand from the bottom at an angle, so the primary color shows on the front of the nail and the secondary more on the side towards the top of this page, and in the descriptions I'll give the primary color first.

Stellar Stormwatch is a rose and gold shimmer.  Since they're all duochromes and shimmers, I'm not going to mention that for all of them - I trust you to retain that information for the next eight pictures.

oma Metallic Illusions Nail Lacquer, Stellar Stormwatch
Toma Metallic Illusions Nail Lacquer: Stellar Stormwatch, Two Coats

Metal Mirage is a murky purple and green.

Toma Metallic Illusions Nail Lacquer, Metal Mirage
Toma Metallic Illusions Nail Lacquer: Metal Mirage, Two Coats

Moonstruck is a dark and light gold.

Toma Metallic Illusions Nail Lacquer, Moonstruck
Toma Metallic Illusions Nail Lacquer: Moonstruck, Two Coats

Swing on a Star is a burgundy purple with a green gold.

Toma Metallic Illusions Nail Lacquer, Swing on a Star
Toma Metallic Illusions Nail Lacquer: Swing on a Star, Two Coats

Copper Comet is a light golden copper with rose gold.

Toma Metallic Illusions Nail Lacquer, Copper Comet
Toma Metallic Illusions Nail Lacquer: Copper Comet, Two Coats

Meltdown on Mars (which I think is an hilarious name - I picture an astronaut throwing a tantrum) is a swirl of gold and light pinkish brown.

Toma Metallic Illusions Nail Lacquer, Meltdown on Mars
Toma Metallic Illusions Nail Lacquer: Meltdown on Mars, Two Coats

Heavenly Body is a dusty dark purple and green.

Toma Metallic Illusions Nail Lacquer, Heavenly Body
Toma Metallic Illusions Nail Lacquer: Heavenly Body, Two Coats

Milky Way is a green with gold.

Toma Metallic Illusions Nail Lacquer, Milky Way
Toma Metallic Illusions Nail Lacquer: Milky Way, Two Coats

Eclipse is a Bronze-y gold with rose gold.

Toma Metallic Illusions Nail Lacquer, Eclipse
Toma Metallic Illusions Nail Lacquer: Eclipse, Two Coats
That's all nine of the Metallic Illusions I swatched.  They're really cool, I think.  Since they're discontinued and Toma was a minor brand anyhow, they're pretty hard to find, and truthfully, I wouldn't exert extraordinary effort or pay a boatload of money to find them.  The bottles are crap, so many of them are evaporated by a good third or so, and there are colors dupey to them that are more readily available.

That's all for today, Dear Reader.  Until tomorrow, love and nail polish to you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment