Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Milani Halloween Collection

Good morning, Dear Reader!

Yesterday I had the good fortune of stumbling upon Milani's Halloween collection. I was all excited, so I neglected to note the official name of it. However, I have pictures, so you'll know it when you see it!

All six shades are a black creme base, each loaded up with a different color of glitter. The one I used this morning, Whimsical, took only two coats to be opaque and even. Since they presumably all have the same black base, I assume the same is true of the other five. The glitter is not perfectly smooth with one coat of top coat (Diamont), but it's good enough for me today. Here is Whimsical, the finished, dry manicure.


Predictably, I tried the purple first! I don't have another black with purple glitter, so I was eager to wear this one. At least I'm consistent... I did not have time for swatching (busy day - that's why I'm up so early!), but there's always time for bottle pictures, so I have those of the other five. They're just in alphabetical order.

Charmed has silver glitter, and lots of it. There have been plenty of blacks with silver in the last couple of years, but this one looks more loaded with glitter than others.


Enchantment has blue violet glitter. This one looks unique to me.


Fairy Tale was the other one I considered for today, with royal blue glitter (blue is my second favorite color in general, following purple).


Magical has orange-y red glitter, a little on the Halloween-y side, but not so much that I would not wear it just as a Fall/Winter color.


Spellbinding has a ton of red glitter. This one, I debated getting since I have a Precision with a real black base and red glitter, and Lubu Heels (although the black base on that one is never black enough for me). In fact, the display I saw was picked over and I thought Spellbinding was gone and was okay with it, but upon a final check I found the last bottle of it. For $3.47, I decided to get it since the glitter is denser and not as fine as the Precision, and smaller and in a blacker base than Lubu Heels. This is the least unique of the collection.


That's the whole collection. I think the four of them, all but Charmed (silver) and Spellbinding (red) are really, really unique and worth hunting down. Even Charmed and Spellbinding, although not as unusual as the other four, have much more and different glitter than others which are similar. Since they seem to be two-coaters, I'm especially pleased - I was prepared for the 3-4 that many Milanis are for me. The other thing I like about this collection as a whole is that Milani took a very simple idea and executed it quite well - six blacks with different glitters isn't complicated at all, but they chose really fun colors for the glitter, loaded them up with it, and put together a collection that hangs together as a whole and has six dang good colors.

On the same outing (to Meijer, a Midwest superstore that often has good displays), I saw the display for the Sally Hansen HD with Opulent Cloud, although both bottles of Opulent Cloud were gone. However, that was the polish pictured on the display, and truthfully, although I know many are excited about and stalking it, I don't think I'm going to exert any effort for that one. For one, the HD line takes a million coats to be opaque for me, and the color of Opulent Cloud just wasn't that exciting to me. I may change my mind if I run into it, but I'm certainly not going out of my way to find it.

That's what I have for you this morning, Dear Reader. Until next time, love and nail polish to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment