Sunday, December 28, 2008

Essie Starry Starry Night


Good evening, Dear Reader.

This won't be my most upbeat post ever, so feel free to skip straight to the pictures.

I made a big nick in my polish while chopping an apple earlier today, and decided to redo my mani.  I chose a color you've seen before, and will likely see again - Essie's Starry Starry Night.  I chose it because it's what I wore to my mom's funeral, and Tuesday will mark the six month anniversary of her death.  She's been on my mind this week because she was such a big celebrator, and my dad and I aren't, so the only thing that made this Christmas different than any other Thursday was that my dad got Happy Birthday calls from his remaining brothers and sister.  When my mom was alive, every minute of Christmas Eve through Christmas was a giant production - it could drive me nuts, but I'd give anything to have her drive me nuts just one more time.  The week of her death is one big blur in my head, but I do remember that I wore SpaRitual Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds to her wake (her name was Lucille) and Starry Starry Night to her funeral.

I miss my mom a lot, no less than the day she died.  I will always remember her last words, too.  She suffered from dementia and had had two bad strokes, so she did not speak for the last several months of her life with one exception.  On my last visit, five weeks and one day before she died, I left with my usual words: "You're a great mom, and I love you."  Rather than blankly stare out the window as she had for this entire visit and my last two, she turned her head, looked me in the eye, and said, "You're a great daughter, and I love you."  Those were the only words she spoke for about five months, and then she promptly went back to staring blankly out the window.  That's the story of my mom's last words - the last of many from a great storyteller who never had a private thought before her ability to speak was taken from her.

So Starry Starry Night and Lucy in the Sky will always be colors for my mom to me.  She got some  good colors, and here's SSN.

 



That's all for today, Dear Reader.  If you can, tell your mom that you love her.  Until next time, love and nail polish to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment