Thursday, January 28, 2010

Orly Snowcone, China Glaze Re-Fresh Mint, and 3D

Good evening, Dear Reader!

I got some new 3D nail art molds from Trans Design this week, and thought I'd show you the fun I've been having with them. I know not everyone's a fan of the 3D nail art, so for base colors, I used two new shades so there might be redeeming value for those of you who don't care about the acrylic art.

The first, Orly Snowcone, a light blue creme, was a sample sent to me by Orly. It applied well, was easy to control, and was opaque and even in two coats. This is Snowcone alone in sunlight.

Orly Snowcone
Orly Snowcone Nail Polish, Two Coats

I chose this as a base for my most challenging acrylic mold: a cameo. The mold had three sizes, and I used the middle. I would have preferred the smallest, but the detail work on this one was challenging. The trick with the multi-colored molds is that you have to visualized to 3D image, and essentially work backwards to build the piece. I started with pure white for the hair adornment and earring (which totally doesn't show, I should have used blue to make it a sapphire), then a deep pink for the roses at the neckline, a pastel pink for the face, and of course, I gave it red hair. I've had a soft spot for cameos since I was a kid, so I'm in love with this mold. It's just very difficult to execute.

Orly Snowcone Nail Polish
Orly Snowcone Nail Polish, Two Coats with 3D Nail Art 1

Here's more how it looked wandering around.

Orly Snowcone Nail Polish Nail Art
Orly Snowcone Nail Polish, Two Coats with 3D Nail Art 2

What I found less than satisfactory about it was how thick the last coat of top coat made it appear. I took a different approach with the next one.

For a base, I used China Glaze Re-Fresh Mint. I like the color, but my experience is that all of the Up & Away colors I've tried has been they're very thick and hard to work with. It took two coats to be opaque and even. Here's Re-Fresh Mint alone.

China Glaze Re-Fresh Mint
China Glaze Re-Fresh Mint, Two Coats

To it, I added red roses and leaves. In finishing this one, I just added top coat to the acrylic pieces, not to the entire nail. I'll see how well they stay on. The cameo one survived hair-washing, so they stay on pretty well! The light faded for the picture with the roses, and the picture of Re-Fresh Mint alone is color accurate on my monitor, this one is less so. Since the point of this picture is to show you the roses, I thought you'd forgive me.

China Glaze Re-Fresh Mint Nail Polish
China Glaze Re-Fresh Mint, Two Coats with 3D Nail Art

As I said, I know not everyone's a fan of the 3D nail art. However, after doing my own nails for over 25 years, having something new to add is fun. Next on the list is using an airbrush I have, but I have to get a holder for the templates made first - as it is now, I would need a third hand to use it. I only have the two.

So that's all for today, Dear Reader. Until tomorrow, love and nail polish to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment