Friday, February 4, 2011

OPI Black Shatter & Wham! Pow!

Good morning, Dear Reader!

I realized yesterday that for the '80's theme, no woman have been represented, so I picked one who matches today's manicure of Color Club Wham! Pow! and OPI Black Shatter.

First, the mani.  It's two coats of Wham! Pow! with Poshe topped with Black Shatter, and then I added a coat of Gelous and a coat of Poshe to smooth it out.

OPI Black Shatter & Color Club Wham! Pow!
OPI Black Shatter over Color Club Wham! Pow!
I know Halloween's the first reaction to bright orange and black, but if you think of it in terms of this week's theme, there's one and only one woman who became famous then who'd be a fit.  No, not Cyndi Lauper - she'd need yellow tips, and honestly, watching her perform always made me so uncomfortable that I'd have to look away.  Something about the super awkward poses made me a little embarrassed for her, so she'd be a bad pick.  Instead, I went for a super cool lady from the early part of the British invasion.


Annie Lennox of Eurythmics
Annie Lennox gets my vote.  I remember hearing Sweet Dreams on the radio and thinking it was really cool, and Eurythmics made quite a stir with the video for it.  By today's standards, the video is low tech and on the slow and boring side, but it was cutting edge then.  Of course, that was when MTV was new and actually played music.  It operated like a video version of a radio station, and VJ's like Martha Quinn and Adam Curry were there for their commentary and knowledge of music rather than as a set decoration.  It was fun, but I would never exchange now for then because I'd have to go back to using a dictionary and thesaurus, the phone book, and time my long distance calls since they'd be ridiculously expensive.

So that's the last neon Black Shatter manicure for a while, and the end of the work week's theme.  This really could have gone on forever - if I could have worked in Nena and 99 Luftballoons or Taco and Puttin'on the Ritz, I would have.  That's when we didn't require a language we speak for a song to be a hit, and I think only in the early '80's would an Irving Berlin cover by a super creepy guy tap dancing in a tux be successful.  I double dog dare you to try that for yourself and prove me wrong by becoming the next Taco (would that be a good thing?).

That's about it for today, Dear Reader.  I've enjoyed this week with you, and until next time, love and nail polish to you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment