Friday, February 18, 2011

Sephora by OPI Hell to the No

Good morning, Dear Reader!

I needed a little change of pace and wanted to wear a good shimmer, and Sephora by OPI's Hell to the No from their Glee Collection fit the bill perfectly.  Hell to the No is a beautiful medium purple with a strong gold shimmer.  I'd wanted to pass on all from this collection, but after seeing a few sets of swatches, things didn't quite shake out that way...

The application of Hell to the No was very good, with the polish being a bit thick but easy to control and two thin coats providing excellent coverage.  Here it is in the sunlight.

Sephora by OPI Hell to the No
Sephora by OPI Hell to the No Nail Polish, Two Coats
Hell to the No really melts my heart - it's spectacular.  I love purple combined with gold, but there just aren't that many polishes like that, so I sprung for this one and it's perfect.  Well, the polish itself is, the name, not so much...

My impression is that whoever names $OPI's tries hard to be cute and punny and edgy at the same time, but is lacking a good bit of sense.  I recall a lot of women being offended by the contender for Pro-Ana Color of the Year 2010, Iris I was Thinner, and it strikes me that as far as potential to offend, Hell to the No is right up there with it.  Although the word "hell" doesn't harm my delicate ears, I have quite a few friends roughly my age who are active members of very conservative faiths who are offended by the word - I've been told so after using it.  I'm not a proponent of the super politically correct ways that would have everything so universally inoffensive that it's watered down and indistinguishable from anything else, not at all, I just don't think the name Hell to the No is good enough to use when it is likely to offend many.  If it were as funny as Tickle My Triangle, likely more offensive to more people and probably my all-time favorite nail polish name, I wouldn't have a complaint since that's well over the line of funny enough to keep no matter what.  It's not a huge deal, but I didn't want to just ignore the name.

Hell to the No is a gorgeous polish in every way except for that pesky name.  Good thing that in real life, I never have to mention the name so it doesn't matter in a practical sense and I'm going to enjoy wearing it.

Until next time, Dear Reader, love and nail polish to you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment