Tuesday, February 1, 2011

OPI Black Shatter & China Glaze Yellow Polka Dot Bikini

Good morning, Dear Reader!

I'm here today with another OPI Black Shatter manicure, one with a very long title.  Last night I'd decided I'd stop with the Black Shatter for a bit, but today I really, really, really wanted to try it over a good highlighter yellow, so I went with it.

The yellow I used was China Glaze Yellow Polka Dot Bikini, which is a super neon yellow creme.  The yellows that really look like a highlighter are usually a hassle, and this one was no exception.  I put it on while I had my first cup of coffee, and being caffeine deficient at the time, I didn't pay attention to exactly how many coats I used but it was from five to seven very thin coats.  I know using white under it is an option to cut down on the number of coats, but the results are slightly different that way and I like how it looks with a billion coats of just the neon better.  In the plus column I'd include the fact that neons often dry quickly, and that was the case here - the dry time after applying quick dry top coat was no longer than usual, so the only extra effort involved is in the actual painting.

Once Yellow Polka Dot Bikini had dried, I applied a thick coat of OPI Black Shatter.  This time, I gave it a minute or two to crackle, and I found that Black Shatter really will just flake off without top coat.  A flake came off of one nail  after a bit, so I sealed the mani with top coat so no more came off.  I'm using up what I have around so I've been using Poshe, and I again used three coats of it to level Black Shatter off.  I did a thin coat of Poshe, then waited a minute or so for it to set, then added another and waited again before the final coat, sealing the edges with each of the three.  I've found that when I use it that way, multiple coats of Poshe do not shrink my manicure.  Here's the final result.

OPI Black Shatter & China Glaze Yellow Polka Dot Bikini
OPI Black Shatter over China Glaze Yellow Polka Dot Bikini
This one seems to have lost that Cece Deville feeling that the Black Shatter and Shocking Pink manicure had, but yellow and black seemed a little Def Leppard to me.  Again, I was able to confirm that my sense was accurate.

Mullets All Around
I was also able to verify that the colors in this picture weren't just a fluke.

What's Up with the Guy on the Right?????
Here, we can see that I like Black Shatter with neons, and that any time I pair a neon with black, I'll be overwhelmed with '80's nostalgia and find the band wearing corresponding colors.  I'm tempted to tell you some funny Def Leppard stories, but this post is long and I don't want to bore you.

With that, I'll wrap it up and get to work.  Until next time, Dear Reader, love and nail polish to you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment