Friday, October 2, 2009

Chanel Dragon

Good morning, Dear Reader!

Well, after days and days (weeks?) of glitter, Konad, all kinds of things to entertain me, today I decided to use a nail polish from my birthday Chanel order that is simplicity itself, one that even I would not "enhance." It's Chanel Dragon, a spectacular red creme, and it's more than I had hoped for.

This is another where I did a bit of waffling when I placed the order, and had it not been birthday (bonus) money I was using, I probably wouldn't have sprung for it. I'm glad I did. The waffling was about the question "Is it just a red?" Well, the answer is yes and no. The yes part is that it's a red creme. The no is that all reds are not created equal, in my experience, and the "just" does not apply to Dragon. What I do not like about most OPI reds is that I can apply three coats and still see through the free edge of my nail. This one, I applied one coat and it was totally opaque, I could not see through my nail. I applied the second out of habit. It's also an amazing classic shade of red, slightly warmer than my beloved Dior Poppy, and Poppy just had to scoot over on her throne to share it with Dragon. Another thing I noticed about Dragon is the shine - it's like I have a sheet of red vinyl over my nails. So yes, it is a red, but no, it's not "just" a red.

This is two coats of polish with a base and top coat in indirect morning sun. There were streaks of direct sunlight outside, but on my neighbors' lawns. I figured I look odd enough taking pictures of my hand and a bottle of nail polish - if I wander off to a neighbor's lawn to do it, the men in little white coats might cart me away, so we have indirect light today! Even in the lower light, check out the reflection of the camera and the background in my nails - how's that for a shine?

Chanel Nail Polish
Chanel Nail Polish with Bottle
Chanel Dragon Nail Polish, Two Coats in Indirect Morning Sunlight

How is that for a classic? I'm sure you can see right away why I don't have the heart to put a big ol' Konad stamp or a bunch of glitter on it. It's so simple, clean, basic, and shiny that I fell in love with it right away. As regular readers know, I'll Konad the heck out of some reds, but never Poppy, and since this one is now sharing the Queen of Reds throne with Poppy, never this one. Some things are just too good for me to interfere with!

That's my happy discovery of the morning. To be honest with you, I've been a bit reluctant to try Dragon lest I discover that I wasted the money on a plain old red where three coats later, I could see the sun set through my tips, so the fact that it this brilliantly good tickles me to no end. I have more China Glaze glitters to swatch for you yet, but the likelihood that I will remove this lovely polish to do so is very slim - I think that will have to wait for another day!

Until next time, dear Reader, love and nail polish to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment